HISC Flying Fifteens
Around 20 Flying Fifteens are based at Hayling Island Sailing Club with well supported class racing at Pennant Weekends and Federation Week. Club members are also active on the FF open circuit.
The regular attendance has provided some great class sailing throughout the season. The established fleet is very diverse and includes friends; husband & wives; and fathers & son teams across an age range.
In addition to the regular racing, there are five Pennant Weekends which are well attended, we plan to run some sprint days (most likely Saturdays). The sprint weekends are likely to consist of 4 or 5 short "sprint" races, which creates very close competition and extremely tight finishes. Plus of course everyone gets a lot of sailing in.
Whilst some of the fleet actively sail on the circuit it is important to support the club racing as much as possible, but also our own event, the Bulwark. Next year this event is set to celebrate its 60th anniversary, which will include the Flying Fifteen Southern Championships hosted over three days.
Notable achievements of HISC fleet members
- 2012 European Champion - Greg Wells & Richard Rigg
- 3rd and 4th at the 2012 Europeans - Charles Apthorp & Alan Green; and Alan Bax & Simon Childs
- 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 9th and 10th at the 2011 World Championships
- 2001 World Champion - Charles Apthorp & Andy Weatherspoon
- 1990 World Champion - Alan Bax & Alan Lockhart
Contact and fleet mailing list
You can email the fleet captain [email protected]