Volunteering at HISC
Meet new people, find new friends and make a difference. Time well spent!
Although the Club is managed by a team of professional staff, it is impossible for them to do everything that is required to run all the events and activities that the membership demands.
The success fo HISC both on and off the water would not be possible without the members who volunteer their time and talents to help organise and support a wide range of activities. Indeed, there are many tasks carried out by volunteers over and above the Club's compulsory duties.
Not only do these volunteers make a difference for their fellow members being part of the team to run events and activities which otherwise would not happen, they enjoy the chance to socialise, make new friends and get involved in the HISC community.More often than not, volunteers have the opportunity to gain new skills, knowledge and experience whist other are able to make use of their professional skills and knowledge to the benefit of others.
Whatever their motivation, what unites all our volunteers is that they find it both challenging and rewarding.
How you can get involved?
Some tasks, such as sitting on committees require commitment, but others are more ad hoc and cost little in the way of time. Whatever your area of expertise or interest, make 2020 the year to help deliver the excellent work of our volunteer-led groups. It will without doubt be time well spent!
Officers of the Club
The roles and responsibilities of Trustees, Elected Officers and Committees are outlines in the HISC Rues within the Club Handbook. Entry point is to offer to serve as an elected representative, or in a co-opted role.
Although most members are required to do two duties per year, many do more as they enjoy getting involved and meeting other members. Dutyman records all allocated duties and details of what each duty entails are outlined in the Club Handbook and on the website here.
Other volunteering options are many and varied:
Club working parties
- Clearing sand
- Rearranging dinghy parks
- Building sea defences
- General maintenance
- Usually out of season and outside
- Coffee, soup and rolls provided
- Advertised on the website, weekly e-Newletter and on Facebook
- Keeping the cultivated areas round the club tidy
- Spring and autumn, outside
- Coffee, soup and rolls provided
Thursday Club (Thursdays, May to September 4-6pm)
- RIB drivers
- Beach / Admin team
- More information can be found here
- Race officers, mark layers, safety boat and beach crew
- Youth Race Week
- Red Ribbon
- Family Fun Week
- A great way to meet other families
Women on Water
- Safety boat crew
- Thursday mornings
- Help our resident archivists research and record the Club's rich history.
Nearly New Sale
- Help sort through donations, man the stall, etc. over the Easter weekend
500 Club monthly prize draw
- An hour or so each month for the draw
- Occasional meetings
- Raffle/tombola donations
- Manning stalls
- Selling really tickets
- Baking cakes for cake stall
- Lost property sale
Whitsun Regatta Tea
- Making sandwiches
- Baking savouries and cakes
- Serving teas
Social Sailing Group
- Organising mid-week cruises
- Meetings/lunches out of season
- Arranging fresh flowers in the clubhouse each week
Ladies' Lunch Committee
- Two or three meetings in the winter
Thirsty Club Committee
- Help organise interesting speakers
- A number of exciting events are planned throughout 2021 both on and off the water
- Your chance to hep HISC celebrate '100 Years in The Making'
- Watch out for further announcements
Chichester Harbour Race Week
- Many jobs ashore and afloat as par of one of the country's leading sailing regattas
- Any member who would like to organise an event on the club premises (e.g. film night, painting demonstration, exercise classes etc.) can contact the office.
To get involved or find out more about any of the Club's activities, simply:
- Speak to the HISC office who will point you in the right direction and forward your details to the relevant volunteer organiser; or
- Ask other members involved; or
- Keep and eye on the weekly e-Newsletter, on the website and Facebook, there is always room for more volunteers!